Comcast Eng 2, Planning & Design in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Responsible for the planning and designing of broadband communication
systems. Designs systems and collaborates with vendors to determine
project specifications. Inspects projects periodically to ensure
adherence to project specifications. Prepares and maintains project
documentation. Identifies new service areas and assists in resolving
customer service complaints. Works with moderate supervision/guidance.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how
you do your job
- Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our
customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint,
and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our
game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital
tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being
open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that
brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining
huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do
better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our
- Designs broadband communication systems using various design software
packages. Produces layout designs for coaxial and fiber placement, and
fiber routing and connectivity. Verifies designs are in adherence to
regional hybrid fiber coax (HFC) architecture and design specifications.
- Conducts analysis to determine efficiency, equipment economy, and
systems operation simplicity.
- Collaborates with outside vendors in developing design criteria and
preparing layout and detail drawings. Develops criteria and performance
specifications required to meet unique operating requirements, building
codes, and safety codes.
- Inspects construction and installation to ensure adherence to
established drawings, specifications and schedules.
- Prepares special keys, charts, diagrams, and graphic drawings for use
by other departments. Updates and maintains system maps, keys, and
design files. Tracks and keeps current system spreadsheets and
- Reviews and estimates design costs and generates project packages for
construction including design prints, bill of materials, and materials
and equipment ordering information. Prepares bid sheets and contracts.
- Completes field surveys for identifying new service areas and assists
in the resolution of customer service complaints related to construction
activity. Works with customers and contractors to plan and schedule
work. Provides customer service personnel with periodic progress reports
of service requests.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work
nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Computer Science, Engineering
- Generally requires 2-5 years related experience
- Design coaxial extensions and complete system redesigns, in accordance with the appropriate design specifications.
- Design fiber optic networks/extensions utilizing CWDM/DWDM technologies, including RFOG and EPON designs.
- Utilize software programs including Lode Data and SpatialNet to complete forward & reverse system RF designs.
- Responsible for providing design maps, bill of materials, specification files to cross-functional teams.
- Managing business partners to ensure efficient and effective RF designs in accordance with department standards and specifications.
- Proficient Spatial/GIS ability in applications such as SpatialNet, MapInfo, and ArcGIS.
- Operational knowledge of Lode Data
- Operational knowledge of AutoCAD and/or MicroStation.
- A strong understanding of CATV drafting and design standards.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer