Comcast Eng 2, DevOps Network Engineer in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Comcast's Network Infrastructure Engineering team is seeking a self-motivated, driven engineer with networking and/or software development skills to help automate, transform, and operate Comcast's national Converged IP Network. This person will assist the team in charge of the world's largest IP voice, video, and Internet network. They will be responsible for planning, designing, developing, deploying, and operating new Software Defined Networking (SDN) applications and other network automation functions.
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements.
- Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Responsible for planning, designing, developing, deploying, and operating new Software Defined Networking (SDN) applications and other network automation functions.
- Collaborates with other Software Development Engineers, Network Engineers, and others
- Oversees the researching, writing, and editing of documentation and technical requirements, including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals, and formal recommendations and reports.
- Keeps current with technological developments within the industry. Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents, standards, open source projects, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assists with technical leadership throughout the design process and assists in guidance with regards to practices, procedures, and techniques.
- Assists in tracking and evaluating performance metrics. Ensures team delivers software on time, to specification.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements. Tests and evaluates systems, subsystems, and components.
- Acts as a technical contact and liaison for outside vendors and/or customers.
- Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal and external audiences.
- Determines and implements corporate communications network and information technology standards.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex network issues.
- Determines and documents internal telecommunications systems.
- Designs and configures telecommunications systems.
- Establishes and maintains network performance objectives.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- -Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Network Engineering, Information Systems
- Generally requires 2-5 years related experience
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Possess strong analytical and troubleshooting skills; a commitment to excellence.
- Possess creative ability, credibility, self-confidence and independence.
- Able to work under pressure, make priority decisions and multi-task.
- Software development & scripting
- Systems administration
- IP networking
- Working with Open Source. Both as a user and community contributor.
- Software Defined Networking, network automation, data-plane programming.
- Familiarity with any of these or similar tools and systems: Quagga, Bird, FD.io VPP, FBOSS, Wedge, Cisco Lindt, Kafka.
- Network telemetry, key-value & JSON document stores, time-series databases.
- Distributed systems.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer